The specific objectives to be reached during the three years that will last the LIFE-BRIO project are the following:
- To demonstrate upgraded mechanical recycling processes guaranteeing an
optimized recovery of fibres from the composite materials of the WT blades.
- To foster closed loop recycling by incorporating the recovered fibres into precast concrete elements such as manholes, containment systems or paving.
- To develop policy and legislative recommendations to the EC for the end-of-life WT blades management and recycling.
- To anticipate feasible solutions for the management of emerging complex waste streams once t
he wind turbine blades start reaching their end of service life.
- To set the basis for an economic and environmental procedure guaranteeing an upgraded recovery of fibres and other materials.
- To assess optimized reverse logistic schemes for the management of discarded WT blades into the Coal Clough windfarm (located in UK) decommissioning phase.
- To perform a comprehensive LCA of the whole process.
- To promote local networks associated with the reverse supply chain of WT blades.
- To disseminate the project results to target groups.